Saturday, April 6, 2013

Custom Audio Isolation

I felt it was finally time to get in some chopping time. I have been meaning to put some holes into my audio isolation rig, giving it easier access to the controls. I made it out of a 3 inch PVC coupling, using heavy duty rubber bands to isolate the Zoom H4n from vibrations. I cut two holes into the body of the PVC with my Craftsman Dremel-type tool, and my Fathers DeWalt drill. I originally began with drilling holes into the corners of what I thought was going to be an easy job...that didn't happen. So I broke back out the drill and drilled many pilot holes along the lines of the windows. Took over 30 minutes to cut the two holes into the PVC. Making sure to wear the proper protection all the while.

I connect the isolation contraption with a Sima Quick Connect, to my Samsung HD Camera.

Now I can much more easily check on my levels and hit those buttons without having to take the Zoom out of the suspension. I'm much happier about using this in the near future. Thanks to Scott Eggleston from the Frugal Filmmaker for giving me the idea that I can isolate my microphones without having to pay $100 for it.

Click the images to open in a bigger window.









No comments:

Post a Comment